Saturday, March 28, 2009

Still In India

I am still away traveling in India. The Translator's Conference was over last week and I have been traveling and doing research since then. Most of the work has been non-Sakya related, however I am now in Manduwalla the home of Ngor Magon. The back end of the monastery where the monk's quarters are located is directly outside my bedroom window. I also plan to visit the new Gongkar Monastery about a half hour drive from here back towards Paonta Sahb and Chandigarh,and then visit Sakya Center in Rajpur.

The image above is a prayer to Sakya Pandita Kunga Gyaltsen composed by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo. It is designed as a visual diagram that can be read in almost every direction. It is very large and painted at the entrance way to the old Dzongsar Institute main temple which is now Deer Park Institute. A new Dzongsar Institute has been built a few kilometers away. There are two other prayers done in the same way, a Shakyamuni and a Longchenpa prayer. I will upload these to the HAR database when I return to New York.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, what a nice blog you have created!

Have you upload this prayer to Sakya Pandita Kunga Gyaltsen composed by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo to the HAR database?

If so, would you mind to list the link?

Thank you.

Joerg Heimbel said...

Dear Jeff,

i just came through Your blog and want to say "hello". I was in the Ngor Ma dgon from January to May in connection with my PhD research on Ngor chen and the history of the Ngor monastery and the Ngor pa school.
Now I read You have been there at the end of March. Sadly we did not meet though we must have been there at the same time if not sharing the same floor for a couple of nights.
Thanks for introducing our Sakya Resource Centre. We will link Your site and blog soon. Maybe we can collaborate on some projects.
With best wishes,
Joerg